Suffolk Libraries is looking for artists who would like to contribute to series of murals to help transform Stowmarket Library’s garden space.
The murals will be part of the Arts Council England funded ‘Stitching Stowe’ project, inspired by the binding of a book. Suffolk Libraries is teaming up with Modece Architects, Fox Yard Studio and Kickstart Team to transform the library’s courtyard into a space for all the community to enjoy.
The project aims to weave together tales which celebrate Stowmarket’s past, present and future. Stories will be collected through public engagement events which will then inspire artwork for the new garden.
Suffolk Libraries is now looking for artists to design and create artworks based on these local stories which will then form a series of murals throughout the garden space.
There will be 10 murals of various sizes. Artists can apply as individuals or as a collective and you are welcome to select more than one mural as part of your proposal.
The murals will be created on boards that will be provided and fixed to the wall by our team. If you will need extra space to create your design, the garden at Stowmarket may be available for this.
Artists – what you need to know and how to apply:
Please bear in mind there is an overall budget of £5000 to create all the murals. This can be allocated based on the size of artwork, materials, experience and other considerations. We are happy to provide more information if needed.
- To apply you will need to email your proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org by 2 August and include the following elements:
- A 200-word statement outlining why you would like to be involved in the Stowmarket Garden project
- A 1-2 page pdf illustrating visual examples of your work
- A statement outlining the minimum and maximum number of murals you would like to be considered for (including their size) and the budget you would require to complete these works (inclusive of artist fees and approximate material costs).
There will be six murals of 70cm x 2.05m, four murals which are 70cm x 70cm, one 2.53m x 2.05m and one 66cm x 2.05m.
Key dates – (you’ll need to be able to work to this timeline if you’d like to be considered).
- 2 August – Closing date for mural applications
- 9th and 10th August – A project and planning meeting for successful candidates to meet the creative team and learn more about the stories that will inspire the mural
- 18th August – Final design for murals submitted
- 8th September – Murals delivered to Stowmarket Library
- 18th and 19th September – Garden launch.
Please contact email@example.com if you would like more information.