Setting up a group checklist
- Who will attend the reading group - you could advertise
for members, or keep it to a small group of friends.
- How often you want to meet as a group - it could be once a week, or once a month. Make sure everyone has enough time to read the book.
- Where the group will meet - some groups meet at the same
venue every month, others ask its members to take turns to host the
group. You can host your group meeting for free at your local library.
- How the meetings will be structured - you can keep the discussion to an informal chat, or you can set questions about the book in advance.
- Decide who will organise the book group - which members will send out meeting details, organise the venue etc. You can also
set up a blog, newsletter or email list to keep group members updated.
Choosing books for a group
You could specialise in a genre, such as crime or romance, or you could read books you otherwise would not try. You
could draw up a list of books you want to read at the beginning of the
year or take in turns choosing.
Library staff can help you select your books and reserve copies to be collected from your local library.