There are various volunteering opportunities across the county. Contact your local library or email email@example.com to get involved.
- Home Library Service - we’re often looking for volunteers to take books to older and disabled people in their own homes.
- Volunteers support many of our events and activities.
- There are many ways to get involved with our libraries' Community or 'Friends' groups. You might help with fundraising, running events and community outreach.
- We need hundreds of volunteers to help with the Summer Reading Challenge, which runs every year. Look out for information from spring onwards.
- We're looking for volunteers to help run our Sporting Memories reminiscence sessions at some libraries.
Our volunteers play a vital part in supporting the library service and the services and activities we provide to local people.
They do not replace paid staff, but work alongside them in a range of roles. Libraries are great places to volunteer and there are many opportunities to get involved.
What’s in it for you?
Research shows that when you give your time to others, there are benefits for you as well:
- You’ll meet dynamic, friendly people, make new friends and help to inspire and support others
- Choose from a diverse range of opportunities and activities
- Learn new skills, share those you already have and get some great experience for your CV
- Help to strengthen your local community
Volunteering … can have a positive effect on your sense of purpose, autonomy and happiness; it helps to develop skills and self-esteem.
- Summer Reading Challenge independent research study, OPM 2014.
Volunteering opportunities with Suffolk Libraries
Our volunteer opportunities centre around reading, information, learning and skills, community and wellbeing. These include:
- General library volunteer (PDF)
- Event and activity volunteer (PDF)
- Home Library Service volunteer (PDF)
- Lego support volunteer (PDF)
- Code Club volunteer (PDF)
- Macmillan Cancer Support group lead volunteer (PDF)
- Friends group secretary (PDF)
- Friends group treasurer volunteer (PDF)
Some libraries offer volunteering opportunities that can help you get back on your feet and feel part of your community again after a period of ill health. We will always try to accommodate any disabilities you may have.
To find out more about what our volunteers do, see our volunteer case studies
If you want to get involved, contact your local library or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’re thinking of volunteering take a look at our Volunteer and Equal Opportunities policies: