Home → Teachers & home educators
Teachers & home educators
We offer two special cards for educators:
- School Self-Service Card. For £50 a year, schools can borrow up to 35 books for 17 weeks at a time. For more information and to apply, call 01473 351249 or email email@example.com
- Home Educator Card. A free additional card that allows you to borrow up to 20 books for 12 weeks at a time if you teach your children at home. For more information and to apply, visit your local library.
- Britannica for children, Britannica for students and Britannica for adults - age-appropriate encyclopaedia available anyone with a Suffolk Libraries card
- Q-files - illustrated encyclopaedia for children
- Fact-checking tips from Suffolk Libraries (PDF) - free poster you can download and print.
Find the right book at the right time
- New titles and recommendations for primary school children and new titles and recommendations for secondary school children - handpicked new and themed titles from our children’s librarian. Includes lists for Empathy Day, Black History Month, Refugee Week and Pride, as well as award longlists and shortlists
- Booktrust Bookfinder - perfect titles for all ages and interests
- Books for Topics - recommended books for curriculum topics as well as Reading for Pleasure lists
- Love Reading 4 Kids - find titles by age, genre and subject
- Fantastic fiction - listings by author of sequels and series.
Staying safe online
- Childnet - great advice, tips and resources for parents and carers, teachers and young people
- NSPCC - online safety - advice and guidance about what to do if there are concerns about your children’s welfare and internet safety as well as ‘Share Aware’ guidance
- Childline on social media - support for young people up to the age of 19 on a range of any number of issues or concerns including internet safety
- UK Safer Internet Centre - tips, advice and resources on the safe and responsible use of technology for young people.
- Dyslexia and Irlen syndrome - information, advice and booklists for parents of children with dyslexia or visual stress
- Help with reading and literacy - information on local and national organisations and reading materials for struggling readers of all ages and abilities
- Bookstart and storytime resources - includes information about our storysacks and big books - perfect for bringing stories to life for groups of children - as well as our Get Ready for School bags
- Parenting advice collection - booklists on lots of aspects of growing up, including mental health and wellbeing, aimed at young children and young adults
- Haverhill Library run a Home Education Book Club for Key Stage 1/2 children twice a month
- Every year during the summer holidays we run the Summer Reading Challenge. The challenge is aimed at children aged 5-11, and we encourage 12+ year-olds to volunteer to help out.