How to ask for help

If you are worried about your mental wellbeing or that of someone else, knowing where to turn can be difficult. SAGES aims to help you find what you need. Here are some of the services you can contact to take first steps in getting information and support…

I need help now

  • If you or someone else is at risk of serious injury or death dial 999 and ask for an ambulance and/or police.
  • If you currently access mental health services with NSFT contact the access and assessment team for Suffolk on 0300 123 1334 (dial 0300 790 0371 for central and west Norfolk or 01493 337958 for Great Yarmouth and Waveney)
  • If you do not currently have access services with NSFT visit A&E or contact your GP and ask for an urgent appointment.

Visit your GP

Your GP is a great first step if you are worried about your mental wellbeing or that of someone else. They will be able to talk to you about how you are feeling, what options are available to you and can refer you on for further help.

All GP surgeries have a mental health link worker working with them. Mental health link workers can talk to you about specific mental health concerns and refer you on to further support. Contact your local GP surgery to find out more.

Self-Refer to the Wellbeing Service

Wellbeing is a free NHS service which can offer support if you are experiencing common mental wellbeing issues, such as low mood, anxiety or stress. Wellbeing offer courses and groups. They include peer support, online guided self-help and one to one support. They can also offer counselling if appropriate.

If you are aged 15 and under, contact your GP who can support you to be referred.

If you are aged 16+ you can access support through your GP. Or you can self-refer by calling 0300 123 1503  and by filling in the online form.

Suffolk Mind

Suffolk Mind offers a wide variety of support and activities. They can help if you are looking for someone to talk to, access to courses or counselling.

Call 0300 111 6000 or visit to find out more.

Suffolk Family Carers

If you are an adult who provides unpaid support or care or if you are a child/young person supporting or affected by someone living with an illness or disability, physical or mental, you are a family carer and may be eligible for support.

Suffolk Family Carers can help you access carer assessments. They also offer a variety of information courses, groups and one to one support.

Please call 01473 835477 or access us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Our website address is

Talk to someone

The Samaritans are available 24/7 on 116 123 or by emailing

Elefriends is a supportive online community for adults offered by Mind

Childline is available to offer a counselling service for children and young people, or if you are an adult concerned about a child. Dial 0800 1111 or use their online chat service here:

4YP offer confidential advice, drop-in sessions and counselling. They also offer online webchat to Young People workers for information and advice on anything.

No items found.

No results found....

Related resources

No items found.
Support your library
Donate to support us
Make a one off donation or set up regular payments and add gift aid at no cost to you.
Volunteer with us
Learn new skills, meet new people and make a real contribution to your community.
Explore our vacancies
Read about our latest vacancies and apply online.
Join us