Reading Well Books on Prescription helps you manage your well–being using self–help reading.
Your GP or another health practitioner may have recommended a self–book to help you manage conditions such as depression, phobias and anxiety.
These books are available from all our libraries.
- Overcoming Anger and Irritability, by William Davies
- Overcoming Anxiety: a self-help guide to using cognitive behavioral techniques, by Helen Kennerley
- Overcoming Anxiety, Stress and Panic: a five areas approach, by Chris Williams
- Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway, by Susan Jeffers
Binge eating/Bulimia Nervosa
- Overcoming Binge Eating: the proven program to learn why you binge and how you can stop, by Christopher G Fairburn
- Getting Better Bit(e) by Bit(e): a survival kit for sufferers of bulimia nervosa and binge eating disorders, by Ulrike Schmidt and Janet Treasure
- Overcoming Bulimia Nervosa and Binge-eating: a self-help guide using cognitive behavioral techniques, by Peter J Cooper
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (2nd edition), by Frankie Campling and Michael Sharpe
- Overcoming Chronic Fatigue: a self-help guide using cognitive behavioral techniques, by Mary Burgess with Trudie Chalder
- Overcoming Chronic Pain, by Francis Cole, Catherine Carus, Hazel Howden–Leach and Helen Macdonald
- Overcoming Depression and Low Mood: a five areas approach (3rd edition), by Chris Williams
- Mind Over Mood: change how you feel by changing the way you think, by Dennis Greenberger and Christine Padesky
- Overcoming Depression, by Paul Gilbert
- Overcoming Health Anxiety, by David Veale and Rob Wilson
- An Introduction to Coping with Health Anxiety, by Brenda Hogan and Charles Young
Obsessions and compulsions
- Overcoming Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, by David Veale and Rob Wilson
- Understanding Obsessions and Compulsions: a self-help manual, by Frank Tallis
- Break Free from OCD: overcoming obsessive compulsive disorder with CBT, by Fiona Challacombe, Victoria Bream Oldfield and Paul M Salkovkis
- Overcoming Panic and Agoraphobia, by Derrick Silove
- Panic Attacks: what they are, why they happen and what you can do about them, by Christine Ingham
- An Introduction to Coping with Phobias, by Brenda Hogan
- Overcoming Relationship Problems: a self-help guide using cognitive behavioral techniques, by Michael Crowe
- Overcoming Low Self–esteem: a self-help guide using cognitive behavioral techniques, by Melanie Fennell
- The Feeling Good Handbook, by David Burns
- Overcoming Insomnia and Sleep Problems: a self-help guide using cognitive behavioral techniques, by Colin A Espie
- Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness: a self-help guide using cognitive behavioral techniques, by Gillian Butler
- The Relaxation and Stress Reduction Workbook, by Martha Davis
- Manage your Stress for a Happier Life, by Terry Looker and Olga Gregson
- The Worry Cure: stop worrying and start living, by Robert L Leahy
- How to Stop Worrying, by Frank Tallis
Supported by Department of Health (IAPT), Royal College of General Practitioners, Royal College of Psychiatrists, Royal College of Nursing, British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies, British Psychological Society and Mind.
Developed by The Reading Agency in partnership with The Society of Chief Librarians.