You can apply for a library card if you:
- live in Suffolk, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire or Essex
- study in, work in or visit Suffolk, but don't live here
If you are unable to provide proof of address we can give you an Instant Access card. With an Instant Access card you can:
- borrow up to three books from any library
- use all our online services and library computers
- borrow titles from the eLibrary
Get an Instant Access card by visiting any library in Suffolk.
Your library card is free.
Getting a library card
Visit a library
Go to any any Suffolk library or mobile library:
- If you live in Suffolk, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire or Essex bring proof of address
- If your home address isn’t in these counties bring your work address or the address you’re visiting
- If you don’t have proof of address you can get an Instant Access card instead
Apply for a card online
You can only apply for a card online if you live in Suffolk, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire or Essex.
When you apply online you'll be taken to a different website.
We will email your library card number within one working day so you can start using the eLibrary straight away. We will also send your card in the post.
If you are 16 or under you will need a guarantor.
Replacing a library card
You can purchase a replacement card update your account by visiting one of our libraries with ID and proof of address. There is a £1.50 charge for a replacement card.
Logging in online
If you have a Suffolk Libraries card you can login online with the card number and 4 digit PIN. When you login you can:
- Make reservations for collection from any Suffolk Library
- Update your library account
- Renew titles
- Sign up for email notifications when reservations arrive, titles are due back or when they're overdue
If you don't know your PIN, call us on 01473 351249 with your library card number, or visit any Suffolk library with your library card or some ID.
Cambridgeshire and Peterborough library customers
If you are an existing Cambridgeshire or Peterborough library customer, you can activate your library card to use with Suffolk Libraries without having to sign up for a separate card.
Visit your local Cambridgeshire or Peterborough library and speak to a staff member about sharing your account data with other institutions
After you have done this, visit any of our libraries in Suffolk and a staff member can activate your Cambridgeshire or Peterborough library card
Once this is set up, you will have full access to the Suffolk Libraries catalogue and the benefits that come with our library cards
Please note that you will not be able to use our eLibrary services unless you have a Suffolk Libraries card.
If you are a Suffolk Libraries customer and would like access to Cambridgeshire and Peterborough libraries, this process is the same. Visit your local Suffolk library to get started.