Suffolk Libraries is again running its New Year wellbeing campaign in January.
Jumpstart January 2021 will have a theme of physical activity and wellbeing this time, with free online and socially distanced activities, together with ideas and information to boost your health in the New Year.
Suffolk Libraries will be working in partnership with Wellbeing Suffolk to provide a programme of activities run by their staff and professional instructors. All the activities are free and there’s something for all ages and fitness levels ranging from a Sit and Stretch gentle exercise session, to a POUND fit music exercise with wooden spoons! There will also be sessions providing advice on how to get active in Suffolk and where to walk in Suffolk. The sessions are designed to be relaxed and accessible and people don’t have to worry about having their camera or audio on.
Sarah Lungley, Suffolk Libraries Wellbeing Manager, said:
“The first Jumpstart January campaign earlier this year increased the number of people taking part in wellbeing and mental health events in libraries. We’ve worked hard to overcome the many barriers posed by COVID-19 and still reach out and engage with our customers.
"Jumpstart January will continue this theme by providing people with ideas, information and practical activities they can join in with from home. Keeping healthy and active in these difficult times is really important for everyone and we hope that Jumpstart January can help kick off what we hope will be a much more positive year for everyone.”
Jacqui Pearson, Social Team Leader with Wellbeing Suffolk, added:
“We’re delighted to be working in partnership with Suffolk Libraries again on Jumpstart January. January can be a tough month so Jumpstart January is perfectly placed to offer that extra support just when you need it. Wellbeing Suffolk offers a whole range of free online social events and activities, in addition to our talking therapies, webinars, employment support and peer support. “This January we have added a range of socials that will help you to get out and get active and hit the new year with positivity. Our online social events have been hugely popular and there’s something for everyone! The Jumpstart January programme of events is no exception and we hope lots of people can join us for the sessions.”
Suffolk Libraries will be sending email updates about Jumpstart January and other health and wellbeing information during the winter. Anyone signing up will also be entered into a prize draw to win a Fitbit Versa 2 Smart Watch.
The following free online events will be running during Jumpstart January:
- Wednesday 6 January – Yoga for beginners – 6.00pm to 7.00pm. Take part in a friendly, relaxed yoga session for beginners to help reduce anxiety and build up your mental and physical strength.
- Thursday 7 January - Sit and Stretch - 6.30pm to 7.15pm. Join us for a little gentle exercise from your chair designed to help get you moving!
- Saturday 9 January – Pilates – 10.00am to 11.00am - Take part in a series of exercises that enhance muscular strength and endurance movements. Sessions are inclusive of all abilities and body shapes.
- Thursday 14 January - Mindful Movement - 6.30pm to 7.45pm. A mindful movement to music session. Learn how to use your breath and become aware of your body as we take a journey through waking up our body and or senses.
- Thursday 21 January - POUND Fit music exercise – 6.30pm to 7.15pm. Grab a couple of wooden spoons and get that heart pounding with this high energy hit class.
- Thursday 28 January - Creative Dance – 6.30pm to 7.15pm. Build a story of movement with this fun and social dance class. Suitable for all ages and families are welcome.
- How to motivate yourself – A 4-week course running every Tuesday from 5 January. Starting an exercise routine and sticking to it, can be difficult. Come along to our social for some helpful tips and hints to keep you going and motivated.
- Relaxation Station - Join us every Thursday from 7 January to learn and practice relaxation techniques and take some time out of your day to focus on you.
- Getting Active in Suffolk – every Monday from 11 January. A relaxed online meet up to discuss the many different ways you can get active in Suffolk.
- Where to walk in Suffolk – Join us every Friday from 8 January. Suffolk is home to an abundance of beautiful and historical walks. Community advisors from Wellbeing Suffolk and guests will be discussing some of the walks they have been on and share ideas on where to go if you are looking for inspiration.
For more information on taking part in the activities and to sign up for the prize draw and newsletter visit our Jumpstart January page.
Suffolk Libraries is also hoping to organise some Nordic walking activities as part of Jumpstart January with details to be confirmed in the near future.
Active Suffolk’s Fit Villages team will also be working with Glemsford and Eye Libraries and their customers on local projects to improve people’s health and fitness.